Sunday, December 08, 2019

Sunday Short and Hot, HuntsBowenSkool

Quick one this afternoon after a couple nights in Kaikoura.

Got over to Nelson's about 3pm, and we headed up the hill.  Grindy grind.  There was a dude ahead of us on Huntsbury Ave and I just could not catch him.  Nelson jetted off ahead, passed him, then eventually rode back to me.  Then did that again, meanwhile, I'm just grinding away at the same speed as the guy...  Stopped for a rest on our (now) usual spot (grassy track, just above the cattlestop above the pylons), and I stretched my sore arthritic back.  This helped me a lot, and my it didn't get as sore for the rest of the ride.

Up the singletrack, over the fence, up the landing strip, then UP Fourpause...  For a bit, then across to the top cattlestop and on up the Huntsbury gravel.  Into the Traverse, headwind across here, and then another rest at the top of the descent. 

I led in, and man got pushed sideways on the jumps.  Nelson didn't even do the bottom jump for that reason.  The landing strip descent is now mowed, but the dead grass is dry and slippery, making for some serious sketch, especially as you hit the first rocky descend-over before heading for the stile on the 4wd.  On down, dry grass proving sketchy, but thankfully missing from all the steepest rocky bits.  Super tricky down in the off-camber corners at the bottom tho.

Into Old Skool, all non-stop, passing a dude scrub-cutting-mowing the track and then bombing the rest of it.  Lovely tail wind across legs heading up-valley.  Finishing off down the road and around back to my car, and popped up to his for a quick beer.

A moderate 10.8 kilomenators and 408 altitudes altituded.

No comments: