Monday, January 17, 2022

Monday Paraparaparapool

Hot jaunt up from Parapara, up the road, keeping clear of traffic (several cars) and then onto the gravel and some seriously hot climbing up up and up.  A couple of times I'd find some shade and stop for a rest, then battle on.  Does my arse look fat in this?
(also, note the granny gear - she's steeep)

Just past the good descent track I heard a bird in the bush and wondered...  Did my 'talk the birds in' sound and two cute little fernbirds popped out to the edge of the scrub and peeped at me a few times.  So cool.  My first time.  After this I rode all the up way to the end of the public section of road (weird 'art gates' are gone) and back to the bench wherein the view is magnificent:

(could be a carbon copy from rides past - nice full inlet too)
Back down the road, bomby bomb, past the singletrack and climbed a little thinking I'd look for something else when at the high point I found it!  Trig, the sign said, and there was a narrow trail I'd not noticed before.  Put the bike on it and it was narrow and steep so I rolled it along on the back wheel.  Not bad going, a little tricky, but eventually got to the top (couldn't see a trig at this point (tho it was right there)) and followed the trail a little further and found a lovely seat overlooking Milnthorpe and Tukurua.

Back up to the bike, ah! there's the trig! and on down the (too narrow to bike, really) track, rolling semi-scooting down through back to the road.  

Down to the singletrack and straight in, careful, careful, yeah, I got this.  First narrow gut with a tiny bridge over it (like a foot long) I'm positioning to roll through and bang, foot clips a rock, front-wheel drops into a hole, and bam, I'm over the bars and flying.  Left shin gets a pedal and some rock maybe, right forearm gets gravel, right thigh gets something hard (good bruise) and I stop my forward momentum with my nose on a bank.  Somehow my sunglasses are full of leaves and snot.  Bike is front-wheel-wrong-way lying off the trail.  Pick myself up, check, nothing broken, but I'm shaken.  Bike, nothing broken.  Phew.  Whoops.  Get rolling again, a lot more carefully.  Down, hairpin, down, hairpin, then follow a creek for a bit, nice.  Across and some flat stuff, hang a right, up to the wee dam, ride around in there a bit, then back down across a trail that wasnt there last time, explore, hmm, cool, steep descent to terrain I recognised, explore, explore, explore, lots of ways, a couple familiar, one not and really steep, and pretty much all of it too narrow for my 820mm wide bars.  Ended up down to where I knew then it went places I'd never been, including a fecking steep climb at the end, up to the gravel road further out from where I'd exited in the past.  

Long sore drudge back to the car. 

A meandery 10.3 kms, with decidedly low 324 m climbed.

No comments: