Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Wednesday Night Escaping the Breezy Snake

Waded through the Sumner traffic and over the hill to meet Nelson at Taylor's Mistake.  Got set up, and we headed for the escape.  Remembered my MMR and switched it on (took ages to kick in), then we Escaped up the valley.  Good rolling then steep, and steeper.  I was utterly struggling for oxygen.  Finally made it out of the gully and onto the traversing trail and it was much better.  Thankfully Nelson had stopped for a rest part way along.  Good breather then onwards.  Up around the next switchback and along a bit and into the next when I realised my house keys werent in my pocket.  Brief panic, we turned back down to where we'd been sitting, no sign.  I called home and T found them on the bed.  Phew.  Going again, around all the hairpins and along and up and onwards to Livingston Col.  Across the road, over the fence, out to look at the view, then rolling again, around to Breeze, all non-eventful and nice and fun. 

Over the fence onto Breeze Bay track , around the back which was nice, then blasty fast down to the edn, and over the road again and onto the OG trail heading back along the front to Breeze Col again.  Hit the road up a little and dropped into a sheep-addled snake, full-on Anaconda blaze.  A very close call in the 'conda, where my pedal hit a rock, throwing my weight forward, riding me up onto the front wheel as it was going through a puddle.  I was expecting to lose it, but somehow managed to keep it together.  Lucky the puddle wasnt deeper.  Survived and blitzed down the rest of it laughing and talking around into the 'tail and a nice blast down this...  All good.

Switchbacky progression of 11 kms coupled with 382 m climbed

No comments: