Thursday, January 14, 2021

Wednesday Night Climby McClimbface, Vic Gov-Crash Nun Vic.

Great spin last night with Nelsie.  We headed down from mine, down the zig zag and across Daresbury Lane, then across Longhurst into the Latters Spur track, dropping for a start then climbing up the steep zigs and zags, below the houses.  My lower pulley wheel ate a cabbage tree leaf and ceased to work so I had to stop and deal with that.  Nelson had ridden on ahead and was walking back to find me by the time I got going again.  We continued up and he bloody cleaned the whole lot of rocks and roots along the barbed-wire-roots track.  We explored a bit into the forest and ended up sidling across to the bottom of the dog park and out onto Vic Park Rd, bugger all higher than if we'd come straight up from mine.  

Up to Skidder and on up the death-by-breathing climb, gasping I was barely able to stay ahead of another dude who was slowly winding me in.  Stopped for a breather at the waterfountain at Brakefree, then on up to the Thompson and Thomsons.  

cross Dyers and up the road to drop into the Governors Bay descent (which Josh told me the name of today but I cant remember).  Good drop down here til after the boardwalk, a volcanic bit of rock diagonally across the track threw my wheel to land on the dirt right on the edge and down I went.  SMACK on the knee, elbows, left hand, onto my front, bike off down the side of the track, my right foot still attached.  Nothing broken, extricated myself from the pedal, dusted myself off, grabbed (all I could reach) the back wheel of the bike and dragged it back up onto the track.  Ugh.  Yowch.  Got riding, somewhat gingerly, again and we rolled around til we were above the guy's house, looking good down there.  Amazing stonework.  A runner passed through, and then we got rolling again.  Nelson bloody cleaned the whole freaking tech-knuckle climb.  I cleaned lots for a start, then dabbed lots but rode some more, then walked a bit. In.Suff.Icient. Power.  Huff huff huff.

Onto the road again, climbing, climbing climbing around and up to die at the top of the Nun.  Big breather rest stretch here and off we shot, railing it and multiple times having weird off-balanced moments...  Crossed the Munter Park trail and proceeded to nail the lower section of the nun til we got stuck in behind some rubes.  Sidled out and hit the road.

Last substantial Climby McClimbface up the road to top of Vic, sloooowly gaining on a girl on a brand new Trek Slash (which looked very nice), brief chat with her, then a pause at the top before dropping in, popping the jumps, and down to water.  Then I led down to rockgarden and across to find a dead spar across the track...  darn.  Wasn't there last week!  Checked out a line above this too, then proceeded on down into the Gums, bombing back and forth out all the way down to 19th.  

Final coast down the road and into the DogParkCarParkLeader, tight and twisty, nice blast down and then last climb up to lower dog and in behind our houses, bombing down and seeing Tra'y and Jet out for a walk...  

Nice Trillium Deciduous on arriving home, yum!

A reputable 12.63 kms, and not a bad 483 m climbed 

No comments: