Thursday, March 02, 2023

Thursday Night Captain God- Snake Escape -Ley Thomas

Good spin tonight with Nelsie.  I arrived at Sumnervale to find him already parked up, and having already tickled his drivetrain into submission.  We set straight to it, around Finnsarby Pl and across the redzone, along behind the gabion wall and into the grunt of a climb.  Stopped and ate some blackberries (which were a bit past it, in my mind).  On upwards, and both of us, tho mostly Nelson, muppetting and tweaky pinging all over the place.  It was like his balance was all off and he kept losing it, including having to step off over the bike on a couple of occasions.  Great climb (once you're past the bastard start) and it wasn't long before we were clambering over the slipped out gatefence and hitting the main drag.  Still muppetry ensued, with Nelson walking bits he probably hadn't walked for years.  I wasn't quite so bad, but still not 100%.  Eventually out the top and, given we were aiming to be back down before sunset, we took the road out to above Scarborough and headed up the farmtrack to the Godley.  

I led down over the boardwalks and through the curves, getting some great speed on, but bony trail was pinging all over the place.  No close calls but certainly on the edge a lot of the way, but gapping Nelson (for a change).  Through Livingston and Nelson led the climb over and down to Breeze, both of us getting a little hung up on the ruts after the pfmtbc rock (which it looks like hardly anybody rides anymore).  On the road back up the hill and we parked up at the top of the 'new' Anaconda entrance.

I dove in first, finding a lot of bones and looseness.  A little hairy around a few corners, and I couldn't quite get my flow on in this top section.  It's hardly used, by the feel of it.  Once in the OG snake I was away.  Started off a little slow but once speed was up I maintained it.  Super sketchy around some corners, and a few mega pings, but out onto the 'tail and struggling to keep on the offcamber, overgrown grass.  Then through the cattle grate and the final bits were plenty fun.  Managed to gap Nelson a bit too, which is always a bonus..  Straight into the Taylor's Escape trail, I put him out front again, and of course he slowly increased the gap on me.  Man it gets steep in the gully, but the going certainly improved as we clambered.  One rider coming down towards us, she waited off side for us.  Big corners, then across the top, and on the last hairpin I lost my balance and tipped, hand out to steady, I super-struggled to extract my foot.  Strain.

Onto the road for the climbing, up around the launch pad (lots of these floaty guys around today) and then after taking in the view of the spit and Scarborough beach (pumping!) we headed up the farmtrack again. 

Another break at the top then into the Godley, which I led and caned!  Awesome flow through all the rocky mess, and I finished by taking the walking track bit, coming into the last corner just after Nelson on the main track.

Across Evans, another quick break, both feeling pretty stuffed, I led into the Captain, into what proceeded to be a cruisy fun ride down.  All good, flowy, fun.  On the wee climb after the rocky bits I changed down too low, and spun out, managing to dab my way up it, but Nelson had selected the perfect gear and cleaned it!  first time in a while.  Flow flow flow, over the gatefencehole, and then overgrown techknuckle followed.  Fun, but on your toes, tight, lots of narrow and holes getting bigger, cool rock roll overs, trees to duck, so much fun.  In the pines I got a call from T, (how long?  half an hour??), and then down the finish, back along behind the gabions, gorse stinging salty arms, and then I found a grape vine and we gorged.  As we rode through the red zone 3 paragliders landed over us in that paddock.  Back to the cars and done, 5 minutes before sunset.

Moderately valid effort, 20.64 kms, and 8 m shy of 800 m ascended.

No comments: