Friday, March 29, 2024

Good Friday Pike 29 on the 29th

First time up the Pike valley and onto the new trail. Hard work climb but a gloriously flowy descent.  I started out thinking I'll just see how I go and turn around when I've had enough.  10 minutes in I almost felt like I'd had enough, but decided I'd do 2 hours...  Climbing was good.  Trail slightly soft but grippy, lots of switchbacks.  Met one descending woman on this stretch.  Took no time to get to the 'twin bridges' where there was a nice seat.  Then a couple kms later the second seat.  It had taken me an hour to get to this.  Took a breather, rest and nice view out over the Grey Valley.  Off again and eventually met a lone (ebike) dude who, until he was 2 metres way, I could have sworn was Wazza.  Then a lone woman, who said there's 3 more behind me.  Then eventually I came upon them, first two then their tailender (last three on ebikes) .  Climb climb climb, and was getting more into the sun when I met a walker couple who said, "you've made the ridge, flowy from here to a lookout..." "YAY!" i replied, exhausted.  Cruised along, met another couple walking, and just around the corner, almost at exactly 2 hours since I started, I got to the look out spot, and seat, overlooking the minehead and access ports...  Here there were an older couple on ebikes, and a young couple of trailrunners.  We all chatted, the older dude had spent time on the mine rescue, 4 days he'd sat on the chopper pad above where the end of the shaft was, where the disaster had occurred.  Very interesting.  They all departed and I had the seat and view to myself - with a cheeky weka. 


Snacked some OneSquare, then it was time for descending.

Oh boy...  flow. fun.  speed.   caught up to the walkers, then the older couple on the bikes, with two climber biker girls at that point, then I was bombing.  Then the first walkers, and somehow another woman walking who I'd not seen earlier.  My hands were cold.  The flow went on and on and took me like 10 minutes to get to the mmr start seat.  and another 10 minutes and I's at the bottom.  Unbelievable.

MMR fucked up the start of my mapping and I didn't realise it til I got to the second seat,  an hour in... This, according to my calculations was 333 m of climbing, in less than 3 kms...  So, overall distance was about 13 kms, with just over 1000 m climbed.

No comments: