Wednesday, July 03, 2024

Tuesday Wet Streets in the Squall

Exhausted when I got home from work, I was very willing to bail on riding.  We'd organised to go from Nelson's and the southerly had been hitting that end of the hills all day, so figured it'd be pretty dank over there.  Decided to pull finger anyway and druv myself over to Nelso's kinda late, planning on a street ride, getting on towards 6 by the time I got there.  Closer I got to his place, squall after squall were hitting and I was thinking this is gonna be a bit shit, do we really wanna be doing this?  Turns out, we did.

I had the 'guards on the Troll, so at least my undercarriage wouldnt be wet!  Out from his and up Santa Maria, over and down to Maffey's, super steeping.  Across the road onto a wee singletrack that took us around the edge of MacCormacks Bay and rugby fields - greasy for inappropriate tyres, then around into Redcliffs along the wrongside footpath ducking up the first Cul-de-sac Raekura Pl, wondering if there'd be a secret redzone path along the cliff - nope.  Back out, around and into, and around, Taupata, avoiding Egnot, but heading up Augusta to as far as we could go.  I walked a bit towards the end.  Rain and squalls, in sheets of wind, were regaling us with glory.  Back down the hill, faster-pushed by the wind, around past the old New World (why are the lights on all the time!?), into Barnett's Park carpark, then back out, and up Wakatu, then Bay View to the end.  Back down, and along to and up Cliff St and Emily Heights.  Woo steep, bit of walking and some steep ass riding.  Good view from up here.  

Bombed back down and next up it was Mulgan's.  Nice.  I pushed heaps, Nelson rode most.  Out Kinsey, down a little onto Clifton, and up again, this time to the Zig Zag, nice drop down this, tight corners - always different to memory, and tricksy steps at the bottom.  Out and across the road, in next to surf club and onto the bike path and headed towards home again.  Major wind and squall, particularly around Shagged Rock corner, buffetted all over the place, rain slicing and dicing. Then along the water front all the way around and back into MacCormacks bay to head back up Maffeys, just for shigs and gittles.  Surprisingly, I made it quite a way up into the steep zone, until a wind gust stopped me in my (very slow) tracks. Walked a good portion while Nelson cleaned it all in 4th gear! (his 5th, we reckon, was about the same as my low).  Going got easier again and I rode the rest over and down to his.  Good, albeit slightly moist, spin.  

Amazingly, 14.3 kms, with a pretty good 476 m scrambled.

No comments: