Monday, May 03, 2021

Sunday E-biking adventure

 Saturday was somewhat written off due to a surprise party for me Friday, so still seedy Sunday, Hugo and me took our ebikes to Sumner for a treat.  

Up through Vic Park on the road, me noticing that his motor is loose in the frame (!!!) but unable to fix we continued onwards, over to Dyers Pass Rd, running the red light and riding inside the cones for the one car and 3 bikes we met, left onto the Summit Rd and all the way along it to Evans Pass.  Lovely lovely day, beautiful views, nice temperature, it was splendid.  Powering up the ups, and bombing down the downs, me being quite a bit faster than Hugo given my extra weight, and so below Gloomy Gulch I stopped and he seemed to take an age to catch up to me.  Down Evans into Sumner at a rip-roaring speed, we went to somewhere he'd been with GG, the cafe on the beach next to Cave Rock.  It. Was. Packed...  I was on limited time due to supposed to be meeting her at Brighton so we went across the road and had a hotdog each, some fries and he had a thickshake (which I wished I'd had one of).  

21 kms it was to Sumner, and I'd burned 2 bars on my battery.  Heading home, the bit from Shag Rock Pile to the yacht club (and a little further) is bad because it's so narrow and there really is no room for people to pass.  Council, get on with it!  They've put that amazing wide sweeping track to Shag Rock Pile, but it's pointless with no way to get across the road easily, nor room for both directions until well round the corner...  Anyway, it's nice once you're on that sidestreet and around to the Causeway...  then Ferry, the Cut, Chichester, Richardson Tce under the bridges, Ford Rd, through to St Martins New World to see if the ebike shop was open (nope), then Gamblins Buxton Beckenham Park homewards and up the hill, mine going to one bar just as we hit the hill, but holding steady all the way up. My bike seems to be faster than his on the hill, but on the flat, he can just sit there and turn the pedals with no pressure and is jetted along at 32 kms or so...  

All up, 37 and 1/3rd kms travelled, with, according to MMR, over a thousand metres gained...(seems a bit much - my estimation would be half that.)   Still, a good effort for H, and fun, and what a way to see the world.  Felt pretty good blasting past roadies on the climb.

No comments: