Sunday, May 30, 2021

The Dankness

Unprecedented massive rain system smothering us for 3 days, torrential, and after a damp walk on Saturday, and then a wet walk earlier today, I decided to take the Troll out and up in the dark and rain. 

Headed down Amherst, left and up Vic Park Rd to the first track on the right, which took me, greasily, down to Harry Ell, up which I proceeded to ride.  Minimal light, just using my wee Lezyne mounted to my 'basket.'  Not totally smooth, but pretty smooth, a few rocks and roots to negotiate.  I met a grand total of one runner coming down, and he didn't seem to mind me being on his track.  Walked the rocky steps up then finished out to the upper bit of Vic Park Rd.  Left here up towards the 19th, then hung a hard right into the track over to the Skidder site.  Got a drink of water and let my eyes accustom themselves to the glow from the city, rain pouring continuously. 

Into Eastside track over and down, squalling brakes getting better once they'd shod their water, riding in the dark for a start, then switching the light on as I wasn't sure of the track surface, which was actually very good.  Into the trees however it was a different story.  Greasier and greasier it go, as I climbed up to the high point, over and oop, a step, not trusting of the landing I put my foot down and proceeded to fall over, below the track, bike tumbling down on top of me...  Ugh.  Picked myself and it up, no traction underfoot, walked and slid a bit further down the track then got riding a bit and walked a bit and rode a bit again.  Phone rang.  Couldn't answer, but made my way into the slide park and under the little conical shelters, where I returned the call.  Then a nice smooth blast down the road, lovely sound of water pumping through the mudguards, tires gripping well through the torrents flowing down the road.  

Only 4.1 kms, but 90 m climbed, which is something.

No comments: