Sunday, December 15, 2019

Sunday Slow Short with Hot Dog

Lots of riding during the week, around town.  To TFC meeting, then home from Poms on Tuesday night.  On Thursday, work picnic at Kate Shepherd's house, home, then Moon Under Water and back. 

Sunday, took Jet across to Bowenvale Ave and we headed down then up Major Aitken Drive. He was a happy boy, bounding and trotting along beside and ahead. Higher up, once on gravel, he met Stella, a cute young black lab, who thankfully he didn't try to hump too much.  We left them to go up the singletrack usual, then up the landing-strip, and met them again on the gravel.  I plodded on ahead, thinking he'd catch up, but when I got to the bit I was going to walk up onto the Traverse, Stella and owner rode past but Jet was still way down the bottom of the gravel straight looking for me.  I whistled, he heard, and started running up, but went out of view behind a knoll and never reappeared.  I walked down, and he was nowhere! I stood there and whistled and yelled, and then saw him finally, waaay down in the tussocks.  He heard me and came puffing up, looking hot and exhausted...  We made our way to the Traverse and settled in for a little break. 

I took off down Fourpause, and bombed down doing the first 3 jumps then stopping and waiting...  and waiting...  and waiting...  He showed up, just trotting along.  It was hot.  I was worried about killing him with heat exhaustion.  All the way down.  Popped the jumps with expertise, then down the landingstrip zone, ride, stop, wait, ride, stop wait...  Down to the stile, then on down, stopping regularly to let him catch up...  He was hot!  Panting majorly.  Popped all the fun bits, the steepest big one with an audience of 2 women and a guy, who I saw walk it after I'd gone through.  Lower down I met a guy who'd lost his mate...  then found his mate lower still.  Jet was slow.  The nasty grass from last time has mostly cleared, so not as slippery on the off-camber bits now.

Old Skool.  Jet found water in the first gully, under the gorse.  I'd say it was pretty dirty...  A few more breaks and further down he rested.  I really thought I was gonna kill him from heat exhaustion!  Panting, lying down on the track...  When we got to the bottom of the valley, he went looking for the creek, but it was bone dry... Down Bowenvale a bit, and I parked him in some shade, tied him up, and bombed on down to get the car... 

Up at lunch at mum and dad's he drank and drank and I hosed him off.  Very happy he was.

A short, 9.33kms that took a long time.  409 m climbed.

No comments: