Sunday, November 26, 2023

Sunday Sumnervale Captain Godley Snake Escape

Spin out with some new peeps this morning. I was a bit hungover post the TFC Xmas do.  At 10am, I met Jon, Ian and Conor, the latter two for the first time, at Sumnervale and we headed up the hill on what proved to be a hot and cool ride.  Clambered up the valley switchbacks and onto the sidling climb, walked the rockiest bits, and slowly my hangover was replaced with sucking down a lot of fresh air.

Out Godley Head Rd, climbing up the farmtrack to the Godley for a sweet hoon down to Livingston and over to Breeze.  Tonnes of ebikers and the odd regular biker around.  Very busy out there.  Up the road a little and dropped into Anaconda where I set a scorching pace, none of them managing to hold on.  Regrouped at the bottom, then hit the snake and regrouped again.  

Up the Escape, horrid steep bits being horrid, but the rest of it smooth sailing.  From top, up road to decide to stay on the road (we'd already been 2.5 hours by this stage - lots of long languorous breaks), nice coast down to Evans, and into the Captain.  I followed Ian, because it was his 'local' (he lives in Sumner), but I would have ridden most of it faster than him. Due to timing, he bailed off down the zigs, where I led Conor and Jon down the oldskool exit.  A bit too tech for them, methinks.  I rode everything, they got off and walked the odd bit.  I stopped often for them to catch up.  Good wee ride tho, just taking it easy and popping through stuff and enjoying it slower.  

Back to the cars and said our goodbyes.

Around 20 kms, (I didn't start MMR until we were a couple kms up (at 150m), and total of 770 m (620m + 150m) climbed.

No comments: