Monday, May 25, 2020

Singlesped in 2/3 speeds, as far as possible in L.A.

Got some puff on at the bach this weekend.  Took 4 teens to have a couple nights at the bach and we hung and they walked and left me to my own devices most of the time.  Laid up with the prolapse disc, couldn't do much, but...

They say, a singlespeed has 3 gears: sitting, standing and walking.  I used the first two and rode as far as I could in any direction.

Jumped on the Switchback and spun my way up valley, figuring I'd just ride until I couldn't ride anymore.  Didn't know how far I'd make, but got some pretty good distance up.  Cleared the dump, having had a few high intensity bits, and took my photos there, then continued on up valley, nearly making it to Misty Hills (farm my uncle and aunt owned til '79).  Turned around, tucked in and proceeded to coast with as much speed as I could muster with the tuck, back down the road.  One or two small ups then rollin', rollin', rollin' on down to the beach.  Left and along and dipped up into Decanter Bay Rd, but only made about 3 metres past the cattlestop, so, out to the wharf, the single hill proving a short chuff on the singlist, both ways, then up the Chorlton Rd, but only to the first picnic bench:

Turned back and around the corner, nearly running into my teens.  They were heading for the church.  I spun home, made it most of the way up the drive, and walked the rest.

Only 8.7 kms, with 185m climbed (i'm surprised).  I called it a "Recovery, Mountain biking" ride cos it's keeping me on the road to recovery if and when I get the surgery on the back.

No comments: