Sunday, May 31, 2020

Sunday Peaches for Beaches

Fatty Arbuckle.  Semi-repeat, but in reverse, of Thursday's ride.

Parked same spot, fatbike and dog, poked our noses at the beach at the start but the wind was such that behind the dunes was gonna be nicer heading north.  So, up the track for a bit, Jet dragging the chain a bit, but eventually doing okay, and then decided to try the beach for a while, as I thought it might make him run a bit faster.  It did, and I could barely keep up with him into the wind...

At the point where the bottle lake mtb track climbs briefly to the top of the dunes, I climbed up the sanddune entrance (riding 93% of the way up), and we headed into the forest singletrack I'd found on Thursday, from the bottom.  Fun track, and some kid on a normal bike even passed through.  Back on the main drag, going was slower again, til we made the forest, then I did a bit of exploratory meandering.  I reckon with a bit of a tickle this zone could be a fatbike-only flow zone, a few sandy pine needle littered trails flowing and dipping around in there.

I eventually found the exit/entrance to my sand-dune-crest track, taking me along for a while til I saw the main bike track, then I backtracked slightly to a good sand exit to the beach...  Jet really wanted to continue north.  He also then waded in and promptly lay down in the water to cool...  (that meant the boot for him on the way home).  Tail(ish) wind as we headed south again.  Jet talking to every dog we met, finally back over the dune (before the carpark path) and back down to the car.  Good blast.

Measly 7.16 kms, and a massive 22m climbed.

No comments: